Friday, September 24, 2010

Where the wind cuts like a knife

A few days ago hurricane Igor hit Newfoundland, Canada, where a close friend of mine lives. Almost all newfoundlanders made it though this safely and so did my friend, eventhough the experience has left it's marks and with good reason.
Igor turned over trees, flooded houses, washed out bridges and roads. In other words left Newfoundland in chaos!!
Newfoundland is a place I admire and hope to visit one day and I have no doubt in my mind it's people and cities will recover from this, the worst storm they've seen for years.

The first I've heard of the hurricane hitting NFLD was when i turned on my tv after getting home from school. I was surprised to see this place on the news in Denmark (that does not happen often) and concerned for my friend. The damages to the city offcourse isn't even half as bad as when Katrina hit New Orleans but I felt it hit me harder or at least in a different way. When you know people living where disaster hits you feel a need to help the second you realize something is wrong so maybe gloabalisation, facebook and everything else that binds people together across countries is what is gonna save our world one day. Who knows...

But no doubt the storm was terrible and I feel very lucky to live in Denmark where storms like Igor usually passes by, where earthquakes don't happen and I am still to see a twister...
And living on an Island when a hurricane hits really doesn't look fun does it???



I wrote this poem after reading my friends journal on the day and after I knew she was safe and with her family...

It is called Out of reach - out of control.

When wild winds rushes through
when the sea is roaring
and water is crashing from the sky
When the world she knows is flooding
when her home is no longer safe
and help is hard to find

When you just go by your day
when you turn on your tv
to see streets you recognize in chaos
When you feel trapped worlds away
when all you wanna is help
to linger the pain of a friend

When she fears the sorrow of loss
when she is surounded by family
and still she feels alone
When disaster hits close to heart
when a place so far feels close
and still out of my reach

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...