Friday, March 18, 2011

The beauty a Songsmith

Today has been a day of music :) I've been going through the old music on my laptop and I started listening to some of my Bruce Guthro music. I haven't been listening to his music for sometime but I never stop loving it. His voice amazes me everytime - whatever he sings his own stuff or he leads the scottish folk-rock band Runrig.

Bruce Guthro himself is canadien (Cape Breton, Nova Scotia), but because of his work with Runrig he spends alot of time in Denmark too and I make it a point to go and see one of his shows every year. At some point he was my fav singer and he is most diffinatly still on my shortlist.

As most of you know my fav band now is Great Big Sea and I actually got introduced to the band through Bruce Guthro. My mom has for as long as I can remember been a Runrig fan, but I never liked the band much untill I discovered they changed their lead vocalist. I started listening to Runrig and they soon became my fave band and naturally I started seaching the net for information about the band. I soon found out that their new lead singer still did solo work and I looked him up. About six month after I really got into Bruce's solo stuff I found a vid online with him doing songwriter's cirle with Julian Austin and Alan Doyle. I immidiatly feel for Alan's voice so I looked the band with the funny name up. After that I was sold - Great Big Sea will always be the number 1 band for me now ;) But Bruce and Runring is still very much among my fav music - let me show you why:

First I would like to share 2 of my fav Runrig songs with you:

This first one is an old folk song but is made famous by Runrig - I love this version of the song and I hope you will enjoy it half as much as I do:



Another one of my fav Runrig songs is Every River. It is an oldie and is normally song by Donnie Monroe (the old lead singer), but I gotta say I prefer this live version with Bruce Guthro from 2009 :)



Now I wanna share 2 of Bruce Guthro's solo songs with you. This first one is a wierd and funny one. It is never released but he usually do one or two of these crazy songs at every show he does. This one is called bruceguthro.com (if anyone of you wonder why he feels the need to offend the danish musicians it is because he's got a danish band when he does his solo stuff when he tours wheather he is in Canada, Germany or Denmark - and maybe I should mention he always make a point of teasing the danish "vikings" even when he is in Denmark ;))



This next song I wanna share with you is from his newest album No final Destination and is inspired by the Katrina's distruction of New Orleans a few years back. It always make me sad to listen to it, but it is such an amazing very well written song I can't help but love it anyway. Maybe my tears just is proof of how well it really works?



A true songsmith is suppose to move you, draw you into a world of emmotions and paint a picture in your head with words. He is able to take you any place anytime. Guthro is able to do just this every time and he actully wrote a song about this amazing ability without realizing how well it really fit himself. So I wanna leave with this song written and sung by a true songsmith :)



Enjoy the rest of your paddy's day and I'll write you all soon :)
Cheers ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...