Friday, July 16, 2010

Favours from the sea

A bit frustrated today.... How much easier wouldn't it be if I could just love a Danish band? But No!! The best band in the world have to be from Newfoundland, Canada and even worse... not many other people in Denmark other than me have realized how amazing this band is. I'm talking about Great Big Sea offcourse :D



For the very reason that not many danes have discovered this awesome band I am compelled to order their music online, which i happily do, since I like supporting the band directly, BUT and this is a big but!!!! The mail from Canada is annoyingly inaccurate and my new cd is now two days late (the releasedate was the 13th)!!!



The cover art illustrates the the album title as well as tilte track (listen to it on http://greatbigsea.com/) stunningly well.



This gorgeous oilpanting is done by Grant Boland and is in itself an awesome piece of work.
I love Bolands work. I have lots of his paintings hanging around my appartment and it definitely wont be the last time i mention him or his work.

This paticular painting is called "The breaking of the bonnie lass"

What is amazing about this piece is the blue and golden lighting and how he makes something as sad as the loss of young love and death seem so incrediblely beautiful.

The way he with only a few lines shows the storm that have been roaring at sea is now clearing and the shadow over the young sailors face that illustrates death taken a hold of him.


Another thing I love about this painting is the gaze in the young man's eye. To me it seems as he is still dreaming of home, the shore and the girl he'd leave for the sea, not knowing he is already there. So beautiful. So sad. So heartbreaking.


As much as this drawing touched me, the song Safe upon the Shore, sung with great emotion by Sean McCann, made me cry!!

So my advice to you is look at the painting, listen to the song and prepare to be moved people!!! ;D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...