Tuesday, July 20, 2010

"My love like a voice"

Okay I'll be the first to admit I never thought I would like this kind of music, let alone love it as much as I do now. Tell you the truth I discovered this band by pure coincidence.

I usually don't watch David Letterman unless I know an actor I live or a band I love is one, but this day nothing else was on, and I was bored so I watched Letterman... and there they were; The Avett brothers take a lot and be amazed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3H5BhWQij8 .

The song is the title track of their newest album and the next day I rushed to the stores to buy this album .. and the day after that I was off again.. my mom wanted it too ;D

Not sure why this very simple, maybe even a bit stripped down album seem so amazing to me, but there is something about the voices, choice and use of instruments that hits me... and never did I think the banjo could sound this cool!!

There a lots of fantastic songs on this album. January Wedding and Ten Thousand Words are so beautiful and movin. I love the vocal track and the pace of My heart like a kick drum and the changing pace and I'm tempeted to say style of The Perfect Space. Sligt figure of Speech is amazing and has me singing and dancing every time, but the best song on the album to me is still the title track I and love and you.

One of the things this band does best though are the lyrics. Sometimes a line our a phrase just poop when you hear a song and The Avett brothers got louds of these. A verse like this get me every time:

When at first I learned to speak
I used all my words to fight
With him and her and you and me
Oh but it's just a waste of time (from I and love and you)

And this line really touches me too:

I had news to give the wind to keep myself and my heart employed (from Tin Man)

Not only are these brother's incredible musicians they are also great artists.
This album hides 3 portraits of the bandmembers all done by Seth Avett. But must amazing is his oil painting on the cover.

It is called "Julianne in Vain," and I'm not quite sure why i love it, but I do. There is something very empowering about this sad older woman. The skull and the look in her eye and the skull shows strenght while the rest of her seem fragile and lonely enough to break. Amazing :D

I will leave you with this line from an older Avett Brothers song ("Murder in the city" of "The Second Gleam" give it a listen to if you want: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aE7rkSELM3I) :

"Always remember there is nothing worth sharing like the love that let us share our name"

2 comments:

  1. Really nice :) Like the first song, from David Letterman show! Karina - skal da lige have lært dig at ligge videor ind i et blogindlæg!!!???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Her er 2 links til, hvordan det gøres: http://www.google.com/support/blogger/bin/answer.py?hl=da&answer=67428
    http://www.google.com/support/youtube/bin/answer.py?answer=57788

    Håber det kan bruges, ellers skal jeg gerne lære dig det :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...