Monday, February 28, 2011

And the Oscar went to....

Well there was a couple of surprises last night (to me at least), but there some things also went just like I expected them to go (also a few of the things I was hoping I could be wrong about). Let’s start with one of the things I was hoping I was wrong about – the hosts.

From the first time I saw Anne Hathaway and James Franco was hired to host the Oscars this year I thought it was a bad idea – not for the reasons it turned out to be I might add. I thought they were too young and I don’t know two hosts is just weird – maybe I am just an old-fashioned kinda girl, but only one person should host the Oscars at the time and to be frank I think Anne would have done just as well on her own if not better. I am not sure what that boy was on or if he just had a server case of stage fright but half of the time he did not even look like he was present. He stared right into the cameras every time he was talking and into the ceiling every time he wasn’t. Anne tried to engage him a few times but without luck.
And if it wasn’t enough he looked like he was on another planet for half of the show Franco also mumbled and I mean mumbled. It was like he ate the word at the beginning of each sentence and if he failed to do that, he just ate the one in the end instead.

Hathaway did an okay job, she was not the best Oscar host I’ve ever seen, but in spite of her being a little stiff and having a rather impossible co-host she did a dissent job.

The opening of the show was actually very well done, but I still think I prefer the one Hugh Jackman did a few years back. Hugh is in my opinion still the best man for the job, since Billy Crystal stopped hosting the show a few years back. It was nice to see him back on stage though even if it only was for a couple of seconds.

I don’t think Anne Hathaway was the only one who was being stiff last night though, almost all of the presenters were with a few exceptions; Sandra Bullock was very charming when she presented best actor and Jeff Bridges was being himself and did a great job presenting the Oscar for best actress as well. Tom Hanks opened the show in style and I actually don’t think that man could do a bad job on screen or on stage even if he tried, but the two best presenters were by far Robert Downey Jr. and Judd Law. Those two was one of the highlights last night, they were hilarious and they got an amazing chemistry, which they already showed off as Sherlock Holmes and his trusted side-kick Dr. Watson. I’ve got to say if they really want two hosts at the next Oscars how about inviting Downey and Law to be it? Or maybe they are not young enough for the academy – but they sure were the best part of the night in my opinion.

Last night off course also had a few true Oscar moments. Kirk Douglas was brought on stage and the 94 year old man proved he’s still a movie star. I also love all of the historic flashbacks and it is nice to remember the great filmmakers and stars that passed away over the last year with the stars. I am glad they didn’t cut that part last night.

Now to the winners of the show!!!
And on that note I’ve got to say: WE WOOOOOON!!!! To anyone who missed it I am Danish and last night Denmark won for best foreign language film with Susanne Bier’s In a Better World. I really thought the Oscar would have gone to Mexico for Biautiful but I couldn’t be happier to be wrong.

Inception took a lot of the technical prizes last night which was no surprise to me – the movie is an amazing piece of work and if you haven’t seen it yet – of you go to blockbusters! It deserves your attention.


Another movie that deserves a lot of attention is The King’s Speech and it got it too last night with the 4 Oscars it brought home. Colin Firth won for best actor and King’s Speech was honored with best movie as I predicted. Off course it got a well deserved Oscar for best original screenplay and Tom Hooper got the Oscar for best director just like I predicted too. I still would have loved to see it in the hands of the Coen brothers, even though Hooper really deserved it too. There was one Oscar more Oscar I think the movie had deserved and that is best actor in a supporting role. Geoffrey Rush did an amazing job in this movie and without him I am not sure Firth would have gotten the Oscar, but it is very rare one movie gets both of this Oscars. I think last night should have been an exception though.

The social Network went home with a few Oscars as well but that was no surprise either – not really my type of movie but well deserved I am sure.
Black Swan got only one Oscar last night and that went to Natalie Portman for best actress in a leading role. She really deserved that one – she did an amazing job and I don’t think any of the other actress’ came near her last night. Well done Natalie – you really carried that movie and that Oscar is the proof.

I think the Oscars were handed out pretty fairly last night and other than actor in a supporting role there were only a few other’s I think should have been given differently.
Those of you who read my blog from before the show last night knows I would have loved to see Haliee Steinfield get an Oscar for actress in a supporting role (since they nominated her in the wrong category in the first place the least they could do was have given it to her). Haliee did an amazing job in True Grit and she really held her own even among great actors like Matt Damon and Jeff Bridges. I think she deserved to win last night but I am also sure this was not the last time Steinfield’s name was on the list of nominees, far from it!

I think Inception deserved on more than the 4 ones it got and that is for Original Score (the Oscar went to Social Network) and I think Tangled and I see the light should have won for Original Song (Toy Story 3 won the Oscar with We belong together).



All in all it was a great show last night and I never regret staying hope late watching it. Another post is to come about the amazing (and not so amazing dresses) one of the next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...