Friday, February 25, 2011

The land of dreams with eternal sunshine of a spotless mind....

This is my fifth post during my writer's week and today I wanna share my two fave english poems with you. The first one I wanna share is written by William Blake and it goes like this:

THE LAND OF DREAMS

Awake, awake, my little boy!
Thou wast thy mother's only joy;
Why dost thou weep in thy gentle sleep?
Awake! thy father does thee keep.

"O, what land is the Land of Dreams?
What are its mountains, and what are its streams?
O father! I saw my mother there,
Among the lilies by waters fair.

"Among the lambs, cloth'd in white,
She walk'd with her Thomas in sweet delight.
I wept for joy, like a dove I mourn;
O! when shall I again return?"

Dear child, I also by pleasant streams
Have wandered all night in the Land of Dreams;
But though calm and warm the waters wide,
I could not get to the other side.

"Father, O Father, what do we here,
In this land of unbelief and fear?
The Land of Dreams is better far
Above the light of the Morning Star."

My mom read this poem to me when I first began to understand english and it holds many memories and great importance to me.

To other poem I want to share with you is Eloisa to Abelard http://www.monadnock.net/poems/eloisa.html and it is written by Alexander Pope. The first time I read this poem was in high shcool and I loved it right away.

You might now part of the poem from the movie Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind, since a few lines is used in the movie and it also gave it it's name.
These are the lines:

"How happy is the blameless vestal's lot!
The world forgetting, by the world forgot.
Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind!
Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd;"

Beautiful right? :)

1 comment:

  1. I always liked "Fire And Ice" by Robert Frost

    Some say the world will end in fire
    Some say ice
    From what I've tasted of desire
    I hold with those who favor fire
    But if it had to perish twice
    I think I know enough of hate
    To say that for destruction
    Ice is also great
    And would suffice.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...