Sunday, February 27, 2011

An ending with no start!

I realiezed I just had time enough to do my last post for Writer's Week before the Oscar show begins. It really is a struggle between the written and spoken words on my blog tonight eh?

Well saved the lyric part of Writer's week for last because I wanted to finish of strong. There have been written a bunch of different amazing songs over the years Coldplay's Viva la vida, Snow Patrol's Chasing Cars, U2's Pride, John Lennon's Imagine and I could go on and on, but I am not gonna use any of those tonight. Partly because you already know them and partly because I don't think any of these song's measure up with this Sean McCann's Long Road Lead Me On:

This road is gonna be the death of me
Tonight might be my last
With 18 wheels and time to steal
There’ll be no turning back

This highway is a hammer and I’m a rusty nail
Struck into an iron mast blown by these old sails
A one night stand – a heat without a heart
It’s no man’s land – an ending with no start

Oh long road lead me on and on

It’s a slick black ribbon wrapped round the widow’s neck
A soul left unforgiven in a room full of regret
It’s a ready aimed riffle – a half cocked loaded gun
And I am gonna ride this bullet till there is no where left to run

Oh long road lead me on
Oh long road lead me on and on

It’s cold barbed wire cut through a desert frost
A funeral fire – ashes on to dust
A silent surrender – a breaking on black ice
This road is an alter and I’m her sacrifice

Oh long road lead me on
Oh long road lead me on
Oh long road lead me on and on
And on

This road is gonna be the death of me

I love the way he is able to paint picture with his woods and how easy it always seems to be for him to make me feel with very few words. I think we've all felt like "Our road" was gonna be the death of us. The path that somewhere along the way stopped being a choice and somehow became a calling. Something that you need to do - even if it kills you.

He is never afraid of using very strong words and a sentence like This highway is a hammer and I am a rusty nail could easily sound wierd - but it doesn't because he's got complete control of every word in the song and even a sentence like this road is an alter and I am her sacrifice is not corny in his mouth because it is heart felt and true.

My love for Sean McCann's music and lyrics is diffinatly not a one night stand and his heat is not without heart. I certainly hope he's gonna ride this bullet for a long long time to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...