Saturday, November 13, 2010

I just wanna let you know...

Okay usually I don't do two posts one the same artist followed by each other, but since I got Scott Grimes' album Livin' on the run a few days ago and his newest album Drive today I wanna do this one while I am in the right frame of mind for it. Besides I don't think I'll be able to do a better job than right now since I have been listening to the man all day long today.

This is, as I just said, a review of Scott Grimes' album Drive:

Earlier today I tweeted my last review to Grimes and told him I would be doing this review too and he kindly reminded me to consider that this album is a demo record done in his livingroom and so I will do just that.

The album is a demo record, which means it's only contains 7 songs where as Livin' on the run has 15. The other sign that this is a demo record it that the style is way more stripped down that Scott Grimes previous record, but that does not hurt his style or his voice the slightest bit. Besides I actually like "Guerilla" recording as I've heard Alan Doyle of Great Big Sea call songs recorded in livingrooms, dressingrooms and in the back of tour busses. The recording style does not define an album (not in my opinion atleast) the artist does and both Harris (who worked on Drive with Scott) and Grimes are very talented.

Hide is the first song on the album and my opinion also the perfect song to release as a single. This is the song was the second Scott Grimes song I ever heard and it was the one that really made me fall in love his music and voice in the first place. The fact that he uses his friends (look closely and you will spot Russell Crowe along with his sons and his two co-merry men Alan Doyle and Kevin Durand) and fans in the video just makes it even better:




There is a red lining through the lyrics in this album aswell, but it is sadness this time more than it is hope. I don't feel that the persons in these songs are overcome by it by it is something they struggle with and someting that defines if not them then the album. The characters in these songs are trying to look ahead (Hide), to find some hope (Waiting) or just trying to "hide" how low they really feel (Corner pub). This is truely a beautiful record and ranks among my other fav records witch contains artists like Bruce Guthro, Bruce Springsteen, Great Big Sea, Russell Crowe and Katie Melua (I actually think Grimes' corner pub has a bit of a jazzish sound to it). Well done.

I wanna leave you with one of my other fave songs of this album. Listen to it before you head to the store or to Itunes to buy this record:


Oh and by the way I actually wanna leave you guys with one last song. Also by Scott Grimes but it is not on either of the albums, but if you love it as much as I do, you can buy it on itunes.



Cheers everybody, have a good night and thanks for reading my opinions on this great artist.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...