Friday, November 12, 2010

We were young and wild and hopeless and free

A few days ago I got a new album. It is not new but it is too me and I loved it so much I thought i deserved my attention on this blog. The album is called "Livin' on the run" and is by Scott Grimes.

I have know this guy for quite a while, but I knew him an actor. He played the very funny (not always by choice) Achie Morris in ER, where he did an amazing job and in my opinion only made the show better. I had no idea he was a singer too though untill he appeared in Robin Hood (the 2010 movie) as one of the merry men. Promoting this movie I heard him sing Beautiful Girls (by Sean Kingston) along with Russell Crowe (Robin Longstride), Kevin Durand (Little John) and Alan Doyle (Allan A'Dayle) and it dawned on me it couldn't possible the first time he used his voice for singing so I decided too look him up online and on youtube I found what I was looking for:



This song is amazing and is actually from the album I am doing this post about. Sunset Blvd is a beautiful song with both amazing guitar and piano sounds. This song displays Grimes' voice beautifully and like the other songs on the album the song proves Scott Grimes sings just as well as he acts!

Before doing this post I was listening though the album again and I noticed that alot af the songs has a Bruce Springsteen sound to them, which can never be a bad thing. Actually the first song of the album Livin' on the run (which is also the titel track) even has a Springsteen hommage incorporated:


And all those dreams of singin' to the second row
Baby you were born to run (this line being from the wellknown Springsteen song Born to run)
I got this time upon my pocket, and my love for you
And I'll be having fun

I for one prefer the more Springsteen rock sounding songs one the album to the more pop sounding song as You come around, but there are none of the songs I dislike. The album to me feels whole with a red lining running through it.

This red lining is: Hope, freedom, dreaming and also rememberace. The first songs is very much about living in the moment but this swifts with Carrie that is a is about remembering. Carrie is not the first sad song on the album I saw you is. But this song is about the present to and about letting go of a love eventhough it hurts.

I think all Scott's songs on this album stays true to reality, but there also is a ray of hope of something better in all of them or a dream of something more even in the sad song on the album. The only song that I feel lacks hope is without you. The only song on the album that allows itself to be sad without painting a light in the distant. A song about drowning in sorrow and allowing yourself to hurt.

The song Hollywood sign shows us life on the other side of the Hollywood sign painting a picture of misunderstood people going about their lives but hope is reintroduced in the last line of Four piece band; a song that is otherwise about growing up and it this process forgetting your dreams:

"Then my senses came to me this one fine day
That you had no ties that bind you was all I could pray"

All in all a beautiful album with wonderful melodies, great vocal tracks and impressive and touching lyrics. Well done Grimes.

Listen to this song "Carrie" and go out and buy the album:



2 comments:

  1. Excellent post! I agree with you about Scott!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks hun :D Another one will be up later or maybe tomorrow on Drive :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...