Tuesday, November 30, 2010

It's the season to be jolly

Snow has fallen and Denmark is painted white. This sunday was the first of advent which means the christmas season has begun. Decorations are appearing everywhere and lights brighten the cold winter nights and happy beautiful songs stream out of the radio.

I have as always imbraced my fav holliday (yep all of december is kinda a holiday for me) especially since the snow is here early this year. I know that a lot of my friends dislike the snow but I find it beautiful and calming. Everything slows down as soon as the snow arrives and the days and nights seems brighter becuase of the shinny white ground. I love the snow for it's beauty, for the fun it brings and also because it is almost the only kind of wheather we have in Denmark that slows us down and reminds us that it is not us that are in control - it is mother nature. We have no real hurricanes, no twisters, no earthquakes and no tsunamis, so what is a little snow once in a while?

Well back to christmas... I have not yet started my decorating but I guess I will sometime this week. My mom gave me an advent wreath today and I lit my first candle (a day late) a bit earlier today, which made me truely feel that christmas is here.

The next thing on my mind is christmas music. There are lots of good music in the radio in Denmark every year, but it is also kinda the same songs we hear every year so I'll try and make my own christmas cd this year. I already have a few ideas for some great songs (that is never or rarely played on the radio here).

Here are a few of my ideas so far:

Angels in the snow by Amy Sky.
http//www.youtube.com/watch?v=uELIAMWNiZs
She is a canadian singer with a beautiful voice and the song is amazing!

Little drummer boy with Ronan Keating and Stephen Gately
http://http//www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7Vu93ugUAE
Because I've loved this song since I was a little girl and Ronan Keating was my fav singer once and I still think he is great, besides this is the last song Stephen Gately got his vocal track on before he died in October 2009.


The marvelous toy by country legend John Denver:



Because it is fun and he is a great musician.

Silent Night - by the amazing Sinead O'Connor
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87q5dmW6zDg
Just because this irish singer has one of the most amazing voices I've ever heard and because this song is one of the most beautiful chistmas songs of all time.

Deck and Halls by James Taylor
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihwLr4iyRPE
Becuase it is a great sing-a-long christmas song (and I always think of a funny moment from the OC when I hear it) and James Taylor's version because it is one of my fav ones - way better than Crosby's that's for sure.

And ofcourse a few songs by my fav band. Unfortunatly they have not made any christmas songs for quite a while now but I do have a few.
This one is called Mummer's Carol and the band is Great Big Sea:


And this next one is called 7 joys of Mary and it is the one I'm gonna leave you with tonight. Listen to the songs, let the spirit of christmas find you and be jolly :D



If you have any great ideas for my christmas cd I would love to hear your ideas :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...